Thoughts and feelings. Hope you like them.
Read a little. Leave a Comment.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Review: Quantum Mechanics and Parabolic Calculus - Source Code

So, though I hope to post more significant topics, ideas, and discussions in the future, I went and watched  Source Code tonight and just wanted to write about it. I won't give anything away.
First of all, I'll just say that it was a good experience for me to just go see a movie. It was fun. I needed to get out of the house and do something. And there's not much to do in Rexburg recreationally (at least, not outdoors) after a recent snowfall like the ones we had today.
In any case, I thought it was an interesting movie. The ideas pertaining to the Source Code itself were mind-bending. I had to sit there for a minute as the credits rolled and everyone was leaving, trying to wrap my brain around what had just happened. There are a few surprises not contained in the trailers that the movie springs on you. It makes the whole film a lot more interesting. I enjoyed it.
One thing I thought might've made things more interesting was more information about the antagonist, or more character development or something. He/she (I don't want to give anything away) was intriguing, but sort of hard to appreciate (and, by appreciate, I mean, conjure any real emotions about). I thought they might've elaborated on the character, but maybe that was the point. You don't get time to learn about the characters on the train.
After all, you only have eight minutes.

P. S. For those of you out there who are sticklers about swearing (and I'm not saying I'm not, and I'm not condemning you or anything...), I'll have you know that Jake Gyllenhaal does drop a 4-letter f word. Might want to take it into consideration. Just letting you know.

8 comments:

  1. You had me at "mind bending." My favorite kind of shows. I want to see Adjustment Bureau as well as this one, both for that "make you think" angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I kind of want to see Adjustment Bureau too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many things in movies which upsetting me.In the last part of movie when Capt. Steven send a message to Goodwin from virtual world, how's that message be received by Goodwin in real world....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic question Mr. Rahul !
      I think this was possible accidently, ie they have never thought that a person from source code can even contact to a person in real world. But it was possible. Thats why Steven was able to contact to Goodwin. The creator of Source could himself dont know that this would be possible.

      Delete
  4. Rahul - a new universe was created. One where he was able to save everyone on the train, and therefore contact Goodwin in that new universe. It's all about parallel universes.. If you're interested in this science, google a man named Michio Kaku. Or there are some pretty good youtube videos about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 36, its 2011. Its a sci-fi movie. I 2 was curious about "Parabolic Calculus". So I looked it up, and came across this post and 2 or three others that were similar. Great movie! Right? I thought so. But how are people not picking up on the parallel universes. BTW they believe they exist. But they gotta prove it scientifically first. But we also believed{some}in atomic power before we had it, then we did. It always starts as Sci-Fi then becomes sci-fact. Is it age? Attention span? Or non sci-fi peoples watching a hard core Sc-Fi flick for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parabolic calculus doesn't exist, but the many-worlds idea in quantum mechanics does. It's tempting to dismiss the idea, as Capt. Goodwin does in the movie, but quantum mechanics has been confirmed to an extraordinary level of accuracy, which should give you pause. What I really wanted to know was how, in the new universe that source code created, Capt. Stevens manages to replace Sean Fentress, who appears to be the one permanent casualty...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The movie made me look back my past math sessions, and I felt sorry because I just met parabolic calculus when I watched Source Code. I wanna go back in high school and love math. Urggh.

    ReplyDelete