Thoughts and feelings. Hope you like them.
Read a little. Leave a Comment.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Macbook Air, Installment #1 (Review)

I am blogging this straight from my brand new 11" Macbook Air. It's got me kind of excited. I just wanted to comment on what I've discovered so far so you guys can take this review into account if you're thinking of buying a mac.
These are the Pros (heheh.... the Macbook Pros) First of all, the computer itself is pretty fast. I can turn it off and turn it on and it doesn't take much extra time. I can save battery life that way. Second, it's really light. I haven't lugged around any other computers through college, this is my first, but it's kind of like I don't have it in my backpack at all. It only weighs 2.3 pounds, according to Apple. Now a disclaimer: I'm majoring in English, so I don't think I'm going to need very much processing power. I'll just be writing stories and papers and stuff; using Pages or Word. That being said, I only just installed Microsoft office this morning and am VERY satisfied. Works like a charm. I haven't really tried anything yet that really stretches any limits for the computer internally, but I'll let you know after I do. I'll tell you what I think.
The Cons are... well, I don't really think there are many cons. Except the computer did cost me somewhere around $1250 (that's with a student discount of $50 and not including the Brenthaven case I also purchased with it which is ALSO very good, and which I will speak about in 2 paragraphs). As far as I am concerned, you can buy a good Macbook Pro for that. If you need a disk drive, that would probably be the way to go. However, if you are concerned about portability, and you feel you won't need a disk drive on the go, you can purchase a Superdrive with the Air ($79, I think). But in the end, you could probably take that with you too. It's pretty small. It just seems like a bulky idea to me. I think that the best idea for a person who needs a disk drive wherever they go is a Macbook Pro. It's built into the computer and you don't need to worry about not having enough USB ports (that's the port the Superdrive will take up if you buy one), of which the Macbook Air has 2, and only two. Which, I guess is sort of another disadvantage. Except that the Macbook Pro has the same amount. Also, the battery life is only 5 hours (but again, that's pretty close to the Macbook Pro, which is 7 hours. And If you decide to get a 13-inch Macbook Pro, you'll still have the full 7 hours).
Concerning a drive, personally, I think that to exclude a drive from the picture will encourage me to be more creative. I'll write my own stories. I'll make my own movies. That's just my theory, but I like the idea of having a computer that encourages me to write as an English major. To produce something and not just consume what the world has to offer (you can credit that idea to my aunt). And after all, I'm blogging to you, aren't I?
Now, the case. The case is a Brenthaven ProStyle 11" sleeve. It comes with a cleaning cloth and a little pocket to put it in. Which is beneficial. But to me, what's REALLY cool is that the inside is lined with faux fur, and the outside is water-resistant. It's not just a piece of fabric to put your computer in. It actually does offer some protection (and, if the computer had feelings, I'm sure it would be more than comfortable in the faux-fur lining).
Well, I think that's it for now. As I explore further the capacity, portability, and overall performance of this little machine, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment